Wednesday, May 11, 2016


"Who may worship in your sanctuary, LORD? Who may enter your presence on your holy hill? Those who lead blameless lives and do what is right, speaking the truth from sincere hearts." (Psalm 15:1-2)

Meditation: Holy Spirit, take what is imperfect in me and make it perfect for the Father.


"I said to the LORD, 'You are my Master! Every good thing I have comes from you.'" (Psalm 16:2)

Meditation: Lord, you are the satisfying drink that refreshes my soul.

"I will bless the LORD who guides me; even at night my heart instructs me. I know the LORD is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me." (Psalm 16:7-8)

Meditation: Lord, I fear no evil because you are always with me.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is the 12th excerpt from my book, Rosary Poetry: Poems on the life of Jesus Christ. Enjoy!



The Scourging at the Pillar5

Jesus, spotless lamb, scourged to please the crowd!
Pilate, there is no crime more horrible!
Flogged like a slave for us enslaved to sin!
To scourge a God! Unimaginable!

Blushing with shame, He was stripped of His clothes. 
Totally meek, the pillar He embraced.
Head bowed, He humbly awaited the lash,
To be given by torturers enraged.

Breast beaten, shoulders struck, both His legs slashed, 
Even His hallowed face suffered the blows.
Crimson the column and tormentors' hands.
Painful stripes caused His holy blood to flow.

No spot was left whole, flesh cut to the bone.
Willpower alone did keep Him alive,
To suffer still more for the love He bore,
And from the devil our souls to deprive.

Behold the Man! Is there no pity for Him?
Drained of blood, exhausted, hands bound by cord,
Wounded from sacred head to blessed feet. 
Behold the Man! Our Lacerated Lord!

5de Liguori, St. Alphonsus. The Passion and the Death of Jesus Christ. Brooklyn, NY: Redemptorist Fathers, 1927. 80-89. Print.

Copyright © 2010 by John P. Gross. All rights reserved. Reproduction of this material must be done in its entirety with the copyright notice intact This book is not for sale, but is offered to the public free of charge for the glory of God, in deep appreciation for the mercy and grace of Our Lord Jesus Christ, and in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

No comments:

Post a Comment