Friday, May 13, 2016


"The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety." (Psalm 18:2)

Meditation: Lord, you are my maker, defender, redeemer and friend.


 "He led me to a place of safety; he rescued me because he delights in me." (Psalm 18:19)

Meditation: The Lord's hand is on my shoulder, sheltering me from harm

"God’s way is perfect. All the LORD ’s promises prove true." (Psalm 18:30)

Meditation: I am a student of comparative religions. I once complained to God that there were so many religions and philosophies that try to explain him, that people didn't know which one to follow. I opened up my bible and chose a text at random for an answer. I forget the exact text now, but it referred to advice from God. I interpreted God's counsel this way: "Many claim to know my mind. Just do what I tell you." So, I just do everything the Lord has said. His promises are true.

"You have given me your shield of victory. Your right hand supports me; your help has made me great." (Psalm 18:35)

Meditation: The Lord's protection, support and compassion have made me victorious.

"You hold me safe beyond the reach of my enemies; you save me from violent opponents." (Psalm 18:48)

Meditation: "Thou blest 'Rock of Ages,' I'm hiding in thee." (William O. Cushing, hymnist)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is the 14th excerpt from my book, Rosary Poetry: Poems on the life of Jesus Christ. Enjoy!



Carrying of the Cross7

Fearing Caesar, Pilate sentenced Jesus,
Once blameless, now doomed because of His crime.
He submissively accepted His death,
Not out of guilt, but His love for mankind.

Egged on by demons, they seized and stripped Him,
Replaced His ragged cloak with His own clothes.
Face disfigured, beyond recognition,
They feared He would not be known by His foes.

He took up His cross, several feet in length,
Of heavy coarse wood that cut His shoulder.
Thirty-three years He'd prepared for this day,
Time for the Lamb to die on this altar.

He and two men condemned for law-breaking,
Began their sad journey to Calvary.
Behold the Man just blessed with palms Sunday,
This carpenter-convict from Galilee!

Cross made heavy by the weight of our sins,
His body bent, knees atremble, He falls.
So little strength remains, blood still dripping,
He continues His march. Golgatha calls.

7de Liguori, St. Alphonsus. The Passion and the Death of Jesus Christ. Brooklyn, NY: Redemptorist Fathers, 1927. 101-107. Print.

Copyright © 2010 by John P. Gross. All rights reserved. Reproduction of this material must be done in its entirety with the copyright notice intact This book is not for sale, but is offered to the public free of charge for the glory of God, in deep appreciation for the mercy and grace of Our Lord Jesus Christ, and in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

No comments:

Post a Comment