Thursday, October 27, 2016


Lord, Like The Publican I Stand


30th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year C (23 October 2016)

3rd Reading


Now about certain persons who consider themselves to be just, while disdaining others, he told also this parable: 

“Two men ascended to the temple, in order to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a tax collector.

Standing, the Pharisee prayed within himself in this way: ‘O God, I give thanks to you that I am not like the rest of men: robbers, unjust, adulterers, even as this tax collector chooses to be.
I fast twice between Sabbaths. I give tithes from all that I possess.’

And the tax collector, standing at a distance, was not willing to even lift up his eyes to heaven. But he struck his chest, saying: ‘O God, be merciful to me, a sinner.’

I say to you, this one descended to his house justified, but not the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled; and whoever humbles himself will be exalted." Luke 18: 9-14

Lesson: The sign of a truly repentant soul is a humble and contrite heart. Yet true repentance is only the first step to earning forgiveness from the Lord. The second requirement is to not commit the sin again; and the third step is to make amends: if you sinned against another, then an apology may be in order (if possible); or by restitution if you have stolen something. If repayment is not possible, then donate the funds to the Church or other worthwhile organization.

Meditation: O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins because I fear the loss of heaven and the fires of hell, but most of all because they offend Thee, my God, Who art all-good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace, to sin no more and to avoid the near occasions of sin.



LORD, LIKE THE PUBLICAN I STAND

by Thomas Raffles

Lord, like the publican I stand,
And lift my heart to Thee;
Thy pardoning grace, O God, command,
Be merciful to me.
I smite upon my anxious breast,
O’erwhelmed with agony;
O save my soul by sin oppressed,
Be merciful to me.
My guilt, my shame, I all confess,
I have no hope nor plea
But Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
Be merciful to me.
Here at Thy cross I still would wait,
Nor from its shelter flee,
But Thou, O God, in mercy great,
Art merciful to me.
Scriptural texts: Ronald L. Conte Jr., translator and editor: The SacredBible, Catholic Public Domain Version, Original Edition.
Song retrieved from The Cyber Hymnal™ which lists over 11,000 Christian hymns with bios, midi files, and sheet music.
____________________

Books

Here is Psalm 20 from my book, "Praying the Psalms for the Unborn Child."


Psalm 20

Prayer for Victory over Enemies.
Good Friday
1May the LORD answer you in the day of trouble!
May the name of the God of Jacob set you securely on high!
2May He send you help from the sanctuary
And support you from Zion!
3May He remember all your meal offerings
And find your burnt offering acceptable!
4May He grant you your heart's desire
And fulfill all your counsel!
5We will sing for joy over your victory,
And in the name of our God we will set up our banners
May the LORD fulfill all your petitions.
6Now I know that the LORD saves His anointed;
He will answer him from His holy heaven
With the saving strength of His right hand.
7Some boast in chariots and some in horses,
But we will boast in the name of the LORD, our God.
8They have bowed down and fallen,
But we have risen and stood upright.
9Save, O LORD;
May the King answer us in the day we call.
The Church prays to Christ who offers Himself in expiation for our sins on Good Friday (in the day of trouble) (20:1). May the Father accept His offering and grant all His requests (forgive sinners and bring His own into glory) (20:2-4)32. We (the Church) will praise His saving work (20:5)33. God will raise Him from the dead (saves His anointed) (20:6). Some put their trust in their own strength for victory (chariots and horses), but we trust in Jesus for our salvation. (20:7). Until final victory is achieved, we will continue to call on the King (Jesus) to save us (20:8)34.

Prayer for life: Dear Lord, from the cross You begged for forgiveness for those who nailed You to that tree, for they did not know what they were doing. Forgive those, Lord, who, in their ignorance, are aborting millions of innocent babies each year. May they give up their arrogant belief that they know what's best for themselves and embrace what is right before God. Amen.

Have a blessed day!
John

32 Reardon, Patrick. Christ in the Psalms. Ben Lomond, CA: Conciliar Press, 2000. 37. Print.
33 The Orthodox Study Bible. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2008. 693. Print.
34 Reardon 38.

Scripture (Psalms 1-21) taken from the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE®, Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission.

Copyright © 2010 by John P. Gross. All rights reserved. Reproduction of this material must be done in its entirety with the copyright notice intact. This book is not for sale, but is offered to the public free of charge in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary and for the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment