Wednesday, October 26, 2016



Fight The Good Fight with All Thy Might


30th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year C (23 October 2016)

2nd Reading


"For I am already being worn away, and the time of my dissolution presses close. I have fought the good fight. I have completed the course. I have preserved the faith. As for the remainder, a crown of justice has been reserved for me, one which the Lord, the just judge, will render to me in that day, and not only to me, but also to those who look forward to his return. Hurry to return to me soon.

At my first defense, no one stood by me, but everyone abandoned me. May it not be counted against them! But the Lord stood with me and strengthened me, so that through me the preaching would be accomplished, and so that all the Gentiles would hear. And I was freed from the mouth of the lion. The Lord has freed me from every evil work, and he will accomplish salvation by his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory forever and ever. Amen." 2 Timothy 4:6-8, 16-18

Lesson: We are never alone. The Lord is always beside us ready to defend us against the enemy, support us in our trials, and help us accomplish the job he wants us to do for him.

Meditation: How do we know we are doing what the Lord wants us to do for him? Judge the results of your work to promote the kingdom by its fruits. If you are drawing just one person closer to Christ, then you are working successfully. If not, ask the Holy Spirit to guide you. He is quite capable of taking what we do imperfectly and and making it perfect for the Father. You are never alone!



Fight The Good Fight with All Thy Might

by John S. B. Monsell 


Fight the good fight with all your might.
Christ is your strength and Christ your right.
Lay hold on life, and it shall be
Your joy and crown eternally.

Run the straight race through God's good grace;
Lift up your eyes, and seek Christ's face.
Life with its way before us lies;
Christ is the path, and Christ the prize.

Cast care aside; lean on your guide.
God's boundless mercy will provide.
Trust, and your trusting soul shall prove
Christ is its life, and Christ its love.

Faint not nor fear: God's arms are near.
God changes not, and you are dear.
Only believe, and you shall see
That Christ is all in all to thee.


Scriptural texts: Ronald L. Conte Jr., translator and editor: The SacredBible, Catholic Public Domain Version, Original Edition.
Song retrieved from GodSongs.net.
____________________

Books

Here is Psalm 19 from my book, "Praying the Psalms for the Unborn Child."
Psalm 19

The Works and the Word of God.
The Nativity
1The heavens are telling of the glory of God;
And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
2Day to day pours forth speech,
And night to night reveals knowledge.
3There is no speech, nor are there words;
Their voice is not heard.
4Their line has gone out through all the earth,
And their utterances to the end of the world.
In them He has placed a tent for the sun,
5Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber;
It rejoices as a strong man to run his course.
6Its rising is from one end of the heavens,
And its circuit to the other end of them;
And there is nothing hidden from its heat.
7The law of the LORD is perfect, restoring the soul;
The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
8The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart;
The commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
9The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever;
The judgments of the LORD are true; they are righteous altogether.
10They are more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold;
Sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb.
11Moreover, by them Your servant is warned;
In keeping them there is great reward.
12Who can discern his errors? Acquit me of hidden faults.
13Also keep back Your servant from presumptuous sins;
Let them not rule over me;
Then I will be blameless,
And I shall be acquitted of great transgression.
14Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
Be acceptable in Your sight,
O LORD, my rock and my Redeemer.
Creation praises the glory of God as He reveals Himself in the Word (Jesus)28, in the beauty of nature and in the wisdom of the law (19:1,7)29. God's glory is revealed day and night, without fanfare, for it permeates the very structure of the universe (19:2-4). Jesus (bridegroom) is like the sun that crosses the heavens and warms everything it touches ("to bring salvation to the whole world") (19:5-6)30. The Word of God (Jesus, the Truth and the Life) is also revealed in moral law and scripture31 (19:7-10). Let us always keep His commandments. They are more valuable than gold for they lead to eternal life (19:11-14).

Prayer for Life: Dear Lord, Your glory permeates all creation. Your beauty is mirrored in the beauty of a baby's face; Your wisdom is reflected in the truth of Your eternal law. Yet there are those who seek to destroy Your beauty through abortion and corrupt Your precepts by enacting immoral laws. Yet I will follow Your precepts and cause no harm to my baby. For I know that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit make their home in me and in my baby. Amen.


Have a blessed day!
John


28The Orthodox Study Bible. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2008. 693. Print.
29 Kleist, James, and Thomas Lynam. The Psalms in Rhythmic Prose. 1st ed. Milwaukee: The Bruce Publishing Company, 1954. 23. Print..
30 The Orthodox Study Bible 693.
31Reardon, Patrick. Christ in the Psalms. Ben Lomond, CA: Conciliar Press, 2000. 35. Print.

Scripture (Psalms 1-21) taken from the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE®, Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission.

Copyright © 2010 by John P. Gross. All rights reserved. Reproduction of this material must be done in its entirety with the copyright notice intact. This book is not for sale, but is offered to the public free of charge in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary and for the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment