Saturday, October 22, 2016


29th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year C (16 October 2016)


2nd Reading


"Yet truly, you should remain in those things which you have learned and which have been entrusted to you. For you know from whom you have learned them. And, from your infancy, you have known the Sacred Scriptures, which are able to instruct you toward salvation, through the faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture, having been divinely inspired, is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in justice, so that the man of God may be perfect, having been trained for every good work.

I testify before God, and before Jesus Christ, who shall judge the living and the dead through his return and his kingdom: that you should preach the word urgently, in season and out of season: reprove, entreat, rebuke, with all patience and doctrine."
 2 Timothy: 3:14-4:2

Lesson: All Scripture is inspired by God, and we must persistently preach it to correct and instruct others so that they may become perfect as the Father is perfect.

Meditation: How do we talk about God to strangers? Try this simple question: "God has been good to me today. How about you?"

Faith of our Fathers

by Frederick William Faber and James George Walton

Faith of our fathers, living still,
In spite of dungeon, fire and sword;
O how our hearts beat high with joy
Whene'er we hear thy wondrous voice!

Chorus:
Faith of our fathers, holy faith!
We will be true to thee till death,

Our fathers, chained in prisons dark,
Were still in heart and conscience free.
And blest would be their children's fate
If they, like them, should die for thee.

Adapted third verse:
Faith of our fathers, we will strive
To win all nations unto Thee;
And through the truth that comes from God,
We all shall then be truly free.

Faith of our fathers, we will love
Both friend and foe in all our strife;
And preach Thee, too, as love knows how
By kindly words and virtuous life.

 Scriptural texts: Ronald L. Conte Jr., translator and editor: The SacredBible, Catholic Public Domain Version, Original Edition.
Song retrieved from GodSongs.net.
____________________

Books

Here is Psalm 17 from my book, "Praying the Psalms for the Unborn Child."
Psalm 17

Prayer for Protection against Oppressors.
Jesus prays to the Father during His Passion26.
1Hear a just cause, O LORD, give heed to my cry;
Give ear to my prayer, which is not from deceitful lips.
2Let my judgment come forth from Your presence;
Let Your eyes look with equity.
3You have tried my heart;
You have visited me by night;
You have tested me and You find nothing;
I have purposed that my mouth will not transgress.
4As for the deeds of men, by the word of Your lips
I have kept from the paths of the violent.
5My steps have held fast to Your paths
My feet have not slipped.

6I have called upon You, for You will answer me, O God;
Incline Your ear to me, hear my speech.
7Wondrously show Your lovingkindness,
O Savior of those who take refuge at Your right hand
From those who rise up against them.
8Keep me as the apple of the eye;
Hide me in the shadow of Your wings
9From the wicked who despoil me,
My deadly enemies who surround me.
10They have closed their unfeeling heart,
With their mouth they speak proudly.
11They have now surrounded us in our steps;
They set their eyes to cast us down to the ground.
12He is like a lion that is eager to tear,
And as a young lion lurking in hiding places.

13Arise, O LORD, confront him, bring him low;
Deliver my soul from the wicked with Your sword,
14From men with Your hand, O LORD,
From men of the world, whose portion is in this life,
And whose belly You fill with Your treasure;
They are satisfied with children,
And leave their abundance to their babes.
15As for me, I shall behold Your face in righteousness;
I will be satisfied with Your likeness when I awake.
Hear my prayer for justice, O Lord (the Father), for I speak the truth (17:1). Decide my case, for You judge fairly (17:2). You have freely searched my heart and found me innocent; I will not utter anything sinful (17:3). I have followed Your laws and avoided violence (17:4). I heed Your commands unerringly (17:5). I call upon You, O God, because You will not ignore me. Therefore hear my petition (17:6). Show me Your wondrous mercy, for You save those who seek Your protection from the wicked (17:7). Keep me as Your favorite and place me under Your protection (17:8) against deadly enemies who surround me and seek to deprive me of my life (17:9). They are hard-hearted and boastful (17:10). They surround us and plot our destruction (17:11). Evil is like a lion that is hiding and waiting to attack its prey (17:12). Come to my aid, Lord (Father); deliver me from evil and destroy it with your mighty power (17:13). Save me, Lord (Father), from those who only seek earthly pleasures and material success (17:14). But I, who have always done what is right and just, will behold Your face in heaven when I awake from death (17:15).

Prayer for Life: Hear my prayer, O Lord, for You answer the prayers of the innocent. You have searched my heart and found that I only want to do Your will. Protect me against those who counsel destruction of my baby. They seek my child's life, not out of their feigned concern for me, but out of a need for more power and financial gain. But I, under the wings of Your protection, will do the right thing and have my baby. And one day I will see the beauty of Your face as it shines upon me and my child in heaven. Amen.

Have a blessed day!
John

26Reardon, Patrick. Christ in the Psalms. Ben Lomond, CA: Conciliar Press, 2000. 32. Print. 

Scripture (Psalms 1-21) taken from the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE®, Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission.

Copyright © 2010 by John P. Gross. All rights reserved. Reproduction of this material must be done in its entirety with the copyright notice intact. This book is not for sale, but is offered to the public free of charge in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary and for the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment