Friday, October 21, 2016


29th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year C (16 October 2106)

1st Reading


And Amalek came and fought against Israel at Rephidim. And Moses said to Joshua: “Choose men. And when you go out, fight against Amalek. Tomorrow, I will stand at the top of the hill, holding the staff of God in my hand.” 

Joshua did as Moses had spoken, and he fought against Amalek. But Moses and Aaron and Hur ascended to the top of the hill. And when Moses lifted up his hands, Israel prevailed. But when he released them a little while, Amalek overcame.

Then the hands of Moses became heavy. And so, taking a stone, they placed it beneath him, and he sat on it. Then Aaron and Hur sustained his hands from both sides. And it happened that his hands did not tire until the setting of the sun. 

And Joshua put to flight Amalek and his people by the edge of the sword. Exodus 17: 8-13

Lesson: We must be persistent in our prayers when we seek God's assistance.

Meditation: In fervent prayer, I lift my eyes up to the Lord who created the universe. I will not rest until he answers me. 

All Ye Who Seek a Comfort Sure

translated from the Latin by Edward Casswall

All you who seek a comfort sure 
In trouble and distress, 
Whatever sorrow burdens you, 
Whatever griefs oppress.

Jesus, who gave Himself for you 
Upon the Cross to die, 
Opens to you His Sacred Heart; 
Oh, to that Heart draw nigh. 

You hear how kindly He invites; 
You hear His words so blest: 
"All you who labour, come to Me, 
And I will give you rest." 

O Heart adored by saints on high, 
And hope of sinners here, 
We place our humble trust in You 
And lift to You our prayer. 

Jesus, who gave Himself for you 
Upon the Cross to die, 
Let there His Heart for love be pierced: 
Oh, to that Heart draw nigh!
Scriptural texts: Ronald L. Conte Jr., translator and editor: The SacredBible, Catholic Public Domain Version, Original Edition.
Song retrieved from Godsongs.net.
____________________

Books

Here is Psalm 16 from my book, "Praying the Psalms for the Unborn Child."

Psalm 16

The LORD the Psalmist's Portion in Life and Deliverer in Death.
Holy Saturday
Jesus intercedes for us to the Father23 and speaks of His coming Resurrection24.
1Preserve me, O God, for I take refuge in You.
2I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord;
I have no good besides You."
3As for the saints who are in the earth,
They are the majestic ones in whom is all my delight.
4The sorrows of those who have bartered for another god will be multiplied;
I shall not pour out their drink offerings of blood,
Nor will I take their names upon my lips.

5The LORD is the portion of my inheritance and my cup;
You support my lot.
6The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places;
Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me.

7I will bless the LORD who has counseled me;
Indeed, my mind instructs me in the night.
8I have set the LORD continually before me;
Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
9Therefore my heart is glad and my glory rejoices;
My flesh also will dwell securely.
10For You will not abandon my soul to Sheol;
Nor will You allow Your Holy One to undergo decay.
11You will make known to me the path of life;
In Your presence is fullness of joy;
In Your right hand there are pleasures forever.
Watch over me, O God, for I look to You for safety (16:1). I said to the Lord (the Father), "You are my Lord; there is no other good I desire (16:2)." As for the faithful who live among us, these holy ones are my delight (16:3). Those who worship false idols will suffer many sorrows; I will refuse their sacrifices and think of them no more (16:4). My inheritance is heaven; You are my salvation; My future is in Your safekeeping (16:5). I enjoy the blessings You have bestowed on me; my future is beautiful (16:6). I will praise the Lord (Father) who guided me; who instructs me even as I sleep (16:7). I will always focus on the Lord (Father); He is my strength, I will not fail (16:8). I am glad and rejoice in my glorious future (Resurrection); my body will not decay in the grave25 (16:9). You will not abandon me to Hades; You will not allow the body of Your Holy One to know corruption (16:10). You will raise me from the dead and bring me into Your presence where I will bask in glory at Your right hand (16:11).

Prayer for Life: Watch over me, Lord, through this difficult time in my life. I know You bless those who worship You and I love You, Lord. I thank You for all the blessings You have bestowed upon me, especially my precious baby. I place myself and my baby in Your safekeeping, trusting in the wonderful future that You have planned for us. You strength fills me with hope. Stay with me, Lord, during this ordeal and for the rest of our lives until You see me and my little one safely in heaven. Amen.

Have a blessed day!
John


23The Orthodox Study Bible. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2008. 690. Print.
24Reardon, Patrick. Christ in the Psalms. Ben Lomond, CA: Conciliar Press, 2000. 30. Print. 
25 The Orthodox Study Bible 690.

Scripture (Psalms 1-21) taken from the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE®, Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission.

Copyright © 2010 by John P. Gross. All rights reserved. Reproduction of this material must be done in its entirety with the copyright notice intact. This book is not for sale, but is offered to the public free of charge in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary and for the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment