Sunday, March 19, 2017

Psalms 35 and 36 from my new book:

A NEW LOOK AT THE OLD PSALMS
Praying the Psalms: a modern interpretation

A New Look at the Old Psalms

____________________

I present here a new perspective on the psalms. I have rewritten them from a New 
Testament Christ-centered point of view. I did not try to capture the poetry of the 
psalms – I leave that to more gifted writers – but I attempted to capture their message
with a more modern interpretation.
God bless,
John
____________________


Psalm 35

J
esus begs for his Father’s help as he is betrayed, tried, tortured, and crucified. “Father, come to my aid, for my enemies have disgraced and humiliated me. Although I have done no wrong, they have set a trap for me from which there is no escape. They falsely testify against me. They punish me in spite of all the good I did for them. I showed them compassion, healed them, prayed for them, and now they attack and mock me with profanity. My body cries out, ‘Why, Father, have you abandoned me?’ Mark: 15:34 (NLT) Your spirit within me knows that you will not leave me in the grave. On the third day, I and all who stood by me will rejoice. I may have lost the battle, but I won the war! Thank you, Father, for loving me and my brothers and sisters so much. Amen.”7

Psalm 36

T
he wicked are drawn to sin like a moth to a flame. They have no fear of you, Father, so they do as they wish. They do not even see their own wickedness. They are deceitful liars who refuse to follow your precepts or give a single thought to doing something good. Even at night they plan tomorrow’s evil deeds.

However, the godly are deeply grateful to you, Lord, for your unfailing love and boundless faithfulness, righteousness, and justice. You care for all your creatures and protect us with your strong right arm. You satisfy our physical hunger with the earth’s bounty and our spiritual hunger with the body and blood of Christ in Holy Communion. You provide water for our physical thirst and grace for our spiritual thirst. You are the light of the world, a beacon of hope. Thank you, Father, for loving us so much. Give us justice so that we may not be overcome by evil. May the wicked see the error of their ways before it is too late. Amen.
____________________


Cover image: Christ the Saviour (Pantokrator)." Web. 25 Sept 2016.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Spas_vsederzhitel_sinay.jpg
"Creative Commons License." Web. 18 May 2016.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

7The Orthodox Study Bible. (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2008), 703.

This book and other books I have written are posted for your reading pleasure at Booksie.

Scriptural quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, 
copyright © 1996. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois
60189. All rights reserved.

Copyright © 2016 by John P. Gross. All rights reserved. Reproduction of this material must 
be done in its entirety with the copyright notice intact. This book is not for sale, but is 
offered to the public free of charge for the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment