Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Psalms 29 and 30 from my new book:

A NEW LOOK AT THE OLD PSALMS
Praying the Psalms: a modern interpretation

A New Look at the Old Psalms

____________________

I present here a new perspective on the psalms. I have rewritten them from a New 
Testament Christ-centered point of view. I did not try to capture the poetry of the 
psalms – I leave that to more gifted writers – but I attempted to capture their message
with a more modern interpretation.
God bless,
John
____________________


Psalm 29

(A vision of the Holy Trinity at Jesus’ baptism in the River Jordan.)

The Father’s voice above the waters penetrates the fiery flames of the Holy Spirit and reveals Jesus as his Son with whom he is very pleased. God announces to all nations that his beloved Son will reign as King forever, give his people strength, and bless them with peace. All the angels in heaven shout for joy as they witness the glory of God made manifest in Jesus, the King of kings and Savior of the world. Glory!4

Psalm 30

In gratitude for having restored his health, a sinner prays to the Father: “Thank you, Father, for having rescued me from the grave and prevented my enemies from gloating. You have restored my body to life. Your anger has abated. My weeping has turned into rejoicing. I was once very successful and thought that nothing could undo my accomplishments. I had forgotten that everything I have comes from you. Then I was shattered when my health failed and I feared the loss of everything. Yet you restored my life, my health, and my prosperity. Therefore, I will praise you unceasingly, Father. Amen.”
____________________


Cover image: Christ the Saviour (Pantokrator)." Web. 25 Sept 2016.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Spas_vsederzhitel_sinay.jpg
"Creative Commons License." Web. 18 May 2016.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

4The Orthodox Study Bible. (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2008), 699.

This book and other books I have written are posted for your reading pleasure at Booksie.

Scriptural quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, 
copyright © 1996. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois
60189. All rights reserved.

Copyright © 2016 by John P. Gross. All rights reserved. Reproduction of this material must 
be done in its entirety with the copyright notice intact. This book is not for sale, but is 
offered to the public free of charge for the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment