Saturday, March 4, 2017

Psalms 27 and 28 from my new book:

A NEW LOOK AT THE OLD PSALMS
Praying the Psalms: a modern interpretation

A New Look at the Old Psalms

____________________

I present here a new perspective on the psalms. I have rewritten them from a New 
Testament Christ-centered point of view. I did not try to capture the poetry of the 
psalms – I leave that to more gifted writers – but I attempted to capture their message
with a more modern interpretation.
God bless,
John
____________________


Psalm 27

With the Lord by my side, I will not be terrified. I fear no enemy, even armies of enemies, because I trust in his protection. All I ask is to spend eternity with him in heaven. There he will hide me from my enemies and defend me against evil. At his altar I will praise him with song and shouts of joy.

Listen to my prayer, Lord. In the past I enjoyed our talks together. Do not forsake me now. Even if my parents abandoned me, I know you would not, such is the bond that unites us. Teach me your ways. Guard me against the false accusations and violence of my enemies. I must be patient, courageous, trusting and, above all, accepting, for it is not my will that I seek, Lord, but yours. Amen.


Psalm 28

Father, you heard the prayer of your Son, Jesus, as he stretched out his arms on the cross toward your sanctuary in heaven and begged for mercy. You were not silent, but granted him victory over death and the devil. We bless you, Father, for raising Jesus from the grave, for procuring our salvation, for protecting us now on earth, and giving us eternal life in the world to come. Amen.3
____________________


Cover image: Christ the Saviour (Pantokrator)." Web. 25 Sept 2016.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Spas_vsederzhitel_sinay.jpg
"Creative Commons License." Web. 18 May 2016.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

3The Orthodox Study Bible. (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2008), 699.

This book and other books I have written are posted for your reading pleasure at Booksie.

Scriptural quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, 
copyright © 1996. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois
60189. All rights reserved.

Copyright © 2016 by John P. Gross. All rights reserved. Reproduction of this material must 
be done in its entirety with the copyright notice intact. This book is not for sale, but is 
offered to the public free of charge for the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment