Sunday, February 12, 2017

Psalms 17 and 18 from my new book:

A NEW LOOK AT THE OLD PSALMS
Praying the Psalms: a modern interpretation

A New Look at the Old Psalms

____________________

I present here a new perspective on the psalms. I have rewritten them from a New 
Testament Christ-centered point of view. I did not try to capture the poetry of the 
psalms – I leave that to more gifted writers – but I attempted to capture their message
with a more modern interpretation.
God bless,
John
____________________


Psalm 17

L

et us kneel beside Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane and listen to his prayer to the Father: “Father, you know I am innocent; I have come down from heaven to reconcile mankind to you and reopen the gates of Paradise. I have done all that you have asked, but now my physical life is threatened by my enemies. They surround me on all sides and are anxious to be rid of me. My mortal body seeks your protection, but my divinity is willing to make the ultimate sacrifice if that is what you desire. Stay your hand of judgment against my foes, Father. They do not realize what they are doing. As for me, I know I will see you shortly face to face.” Thank you, Jesus, for saving me. Father, may your will be done, not mine. Amen.

Psalm 18

L
et us listen to Jesus’ prayer to the Father as he hangs on the cross: “Father, you are my strength, my rock, my shield, and my stronghold. Death approaches, but I know that you hear me in your sanctuary. ‘It is finished.’” John 19:30 (NLT) ‘I entrust my spirit into your hands.’” Luke 23:46 (NLT) Then the earth shook and the sky grew dark, as if nature itself rebelled at the thought of man killing his creator. “Surely he was the Son of God!” Matt 27:54 (NLT), exclaimed the centurion who witnessed Jesus’ death. They took him down from the cross and placed him in a tomb. Could they keep him in the tomb? They could not, for the Father reached down from heaven and rescued him from the grave. And on the third day heaven and earth rejoiced at the sight of the risen Lord.

A glorious afterlife is promised to all who live a righteous life. If we remain innocent, turn away from evil, follow God’s precepts, and keep from sin, we will be rewarded. We must be faithful, show integrity, maintain purity, shun the wicked, and help those in need. Then the Father will rescue us from darkness, if not in this world, then in the next. This is a promise from God and all his promises are true. He is my shield, my strength, my surety, and my salvation. Enemies can kill my body, but my soul is immortal and it belongs to God. My victory over death is assured because Jesus lives! Praise God! May I bathe in the light of God’s unfailing love forever. Amen.

____________________


Cover image: Christ the Saviour (Pantokrator)." Web. 25 Sept 2016.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Spas_vsederzhitel_sinay.jpg
"Creative Commons License." Web. 18 May 2016.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

This book and other books I have written are posted for your reading pleasure at Booksie.

Scriptural quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, 
copyright © 1996. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois
60189. All rights reserved.

Copyright © 2016 by John P. Gross. All rights reserved. Reproduction of this material must 
be done in its entirety with the copyright notice intact. This book is not for sale, but is 
offered to the public free of charge for the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment