Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Psalms 15 and 16 from my new book:

A NEW LOOK AT THE OLD PSALMS
Praying the Psalms: a modern interpretation

A New Look at the Old Psalms

____________________

I present here a new perspective on the psalms. I have rewritten them from a New 
Testament Christ-centered point of view. I did not try to capture the poetry of the 
psalms – I leave that to more gifted writers – but I attempted to capture their message
with a more modern interpretation.
God bless,
John
____________________


Psalm 15

T
o come into the presence of the Lord, the Old Testament demanded that I lead a good life, do what is right, speak only the truth, speak kindly of others, shun the company of resolute sinners, respect all who love God, keep my promises no matter how difficult that may be, conduct my financial affairs ethically, and cause no harm to the innocent. The New Testament requires more of me: I need to become Christlike. As a reward, Jesus promises his protection to all who follow him. Father, may your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Amen.


Psalm 16

F
ather, you are our God, our only God. From you pours forth all that is good. Fill me with the grace to love those who love you. My cup overflows with the blessings you have bestowed upon me. I hunger and thirst for you, Lord, and you have satisfied me with the bread of life and the cup of salvation. No matter how difficult life becomes, I know you are right beside me. Even when I sleep, no evil will befall me because your right hand holds me fast.

What joy fills my heart knowing that you did not let your Son remain in the grave. You raised him on the third day and then brought him back into your kingdom where he lives with you forever. Such a reward is promised to all who love you, Father. Thank you, Jesus, for reconciling us to the Father and showing us the way to eternal life. Amen. 

____________________


Cover image: Christ the Saviour (Pantokrator)." Web. 25 Sept 2016.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Spas_vsederzhitel_sinay.jpg
"Creative Commons License." Web. 18 May 2016.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

This book and other books I have written are posted for your reading pleasure at Booksie.

Scriptural quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, 
copyright © 1996. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois
60189. All rights reserved.

Copyright © 2016 by John P. Gross. All rights reserved. Reproduction of this material must 
be done in its entirety with the copyright notice intact. This book is not for sale, but is 
offered to the public free of charge for the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment