Sunday, April 23, 2017

Psalms 55 and 56 from my new book:

A NEW LOOK AT THE OLD PSALMS
Praying the Psalms: a modern interpretation

A New Look at the Old Psalms

____________________

I present here a new perspective on the psalms. I have rewritten them from a New 
Testament Christ-centered point of view. I did not try to capture the poetry of the 
psalms – I leave that to more gifted writers – but I attempted to capture their message
with a more modern interpretation.
God bless,
John
____________________


Psalm 55

(Jesus prays to his Father about his betrayal by Judas.)

" F
ather, hear my prayer. The attacks by my enemies and the burden of the sins of the world weigh heavily upon me. I feel the full force of the rage of the wicked. As I hang here for the salvation of sinners, I feel how much the thoughts of dying fill them with immense anxiety and dread. As much as I would like you to save me from this horror, I must accept it for their sake. I feel all the sins and hardships of the people. The ungodly deceive them and treat them unjustly. Father, put an end to this evil.

I was betrayed by a friend. I can understand an enemy making false charges against me, but not an acquaintance whom I expected to lead my people, who ate with me, and accompanied me to the Temple. Yet you will rescue me from the grave and humiliate those who betrayed me and broke your commandments. They have condemned themselves through their evil acts which they pursue relentlessly.

My betrayer’s smooth words hid a heart that aimed to hurt me. Give me justice, Father, for you care for all your children who rely on your help. Bring the wicked to repent their sins, for the souls who ceaselessly pursue evil will be condemned to hell for eternity in the afterlife. But I know you will save me. Amen.”

Psalm 56

(Jesus describes his victory over the devil. The idea that good will prevail over evil in the end has become a basic tenet of the Church, much like a pillar that supports the physical structure of the Church.)

" F
ather, I am under constant attack from the devil and his numerous minions. The battle has reached a fever pitch and I am afraid. But I place my trust in you, for your words are true and you have promised me victory in the end.
The ungodly condemn my teachings and plot against me constantly. They wait for just the right moment to strike and take my life. If they persist, they cannot be saved. You will cast them down into the pit. Their defeat is assured since you always respond to my calls for help. Because I hope in you and trust in your promises, I am not afraid of any man. I will keep my vows to you.

Praise be to you, Father, for you have rescued me from the darkness of the tomb and kept my feet on solid ground so that I can spend eternity with you in the light. Amen.”18

____________________


Cover image: Christ the Saviour (Pantokrator)." Web. 25 Sept 2016.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Spas_vsederzhitel_sinay.jpg
"Creative Commons License." Web. 18 May 2016.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

18The Orthodox Study Bible. (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2008), 718.

This book and other books I have written are posted for your reading pleasure at Booksie.

Scriptural quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, 
copyright © 1996. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois
60189. All rights reserved.

Copyright © 2016 by John P. Gross. All rights reserved. Reproduction of this material must 
be done in its entirety with the copyright notice intact. This book is not for sale, but is 
offered to the public free of charge for the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment