Sunday, April 2, 2017

Psalms 43 and 44 from my new book:

A NEW LOOK AT THE OLD PSALMS
Praying the Psalms: a modern interpretation

A New Look at the Old Psalms

____________________

I present here a new perspective on the psalms. I have rewritten them from a New 
Testament Christ-centered point of view. I did not try to capture the poetry of the 
psalms – I leave that to more gifted writers – but I attempted to capture their message
with a more modern interpretation.
God bless,
John
____________________


Psalm 43

C
hrist prays that those he came to save will see the light and follow him to his Father’s house. “Father, I am surrounded by an unholy people who know neither justice nor truth. You sent me to bring light and hope into the darkness of this world. Guide me so that I may guide them. I will not be discouraged because I place my trust in you. I look forward to praising you with all the saints in heaven for saving me and my Church. Amen.”12

Psalm 44

T

he Church prays for protection. “Father, for generations we have praised you for helping us during times of persecution. Our strength and power were lacking; we would have perished without your intervention. But now we feel you have abandoned us. We are losing ground to the enemy. Our neighbors abhor us; we are humiliated. You who know our deepest thoughts can see that we have persisted in our faith despite years of affliction. Come save us, Lord, both in our daily struggles and on the last day when we all hope to be raised from the dead and welcomed into your kingdom. Amen.”13

____________________


Cover image: Christ the Saviour (Pantokrator)." Web. 25 Sept 2016.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Spas_vsederzhitel_sinay.jpg
"Creative Commons License." Web. 18 May 2016.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

12The Orthodox Study Bible. (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2008), 710.
13Ibid.

This book and other books I have written are posted for your reading pleasure at Booksie.

Scriptural quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, 
copyright © 1996. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois
60189. All rights reserved.

Copyright © 2016 by John P. Gross. All rights reserved. Reproduction of this material must 
be done in its entirety with the copyright notice intact. This book is not for sale, but is 
offered to the public free of charge for the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment