Wednesday, January 4, 2017


Books

This is the last excerpt from my book, "Praying the Psalms for the Unborn Child." 

Beginning Sunday, January 8, I will post excerpts from my newest book, "A New Look at the Old Psalms: Praying the Psalms - A Modern Interpretation."

Psalm 41
Prayer of Christ after His betrayal by Judas73.
1 Oh, the joys of those who are kind to the poor!
The Lord rescues them when they are in trouble.
2 The Lord protects them
and keeps them alive.
He gives them prosperity in the land
and rescues them from their enemies.
3 The Lord nurses them when they are sick
and restores them to health.
4 “O Lord,” I prayed, “have mercy on me.
Heal me, for I have sinned against you.”
5 But my enemies say nothing but evil about me.
“How soon will he die and be forgotten?” they ask.
6 They visit me as if they were my friends,
but all the while they gather gossip,
and when they leave, they spread it everywhere.
7 All who hate me whisper about me,
imagining the worst.
8 “He has some fatal disease,” they say.
“He will never get out of that bed!”
9 Even my best friend, the one I trusted completely,
the one who shared my food, has turned against me.
10 Lord, have mercy on me.
Make me well again, so I can pay them back!
11 I know you are pleased with me,
for you have not let my enemies triumph over me.
12 You have preserved my life because I am innocent;
you have brought me into your presence forever.
13 Praise the Lord, the God of Israel,
who lives from everlasting to everlasting.
Amen and amen!
Jesus, who was so compassionate to the sick and the poor74 (41:1-30), takes on the sins of the world and begs the Father to have mercy on Him (us). Under attack from His enemies (41:4-8), even Judas, a trusted friend, betrays Him (41:9). Ultimately, God will defeat Christ's enemies and raise Him from the dead (41:10-12). Thanks be to God (41:13)!

Prayer for life: My Lord, You suffered so much to save me. Yet, You were betrayed by a friend. How You must feel even more betrayed today because those for whom You died are offending You so through the act of abortion! Still, You beg the Father to forgive them. You are so merciful to us! Yet we know that justice must also be served. Be patient with us, Lord, for our hearts are changing. Fill us with the spirit of conversion so that we will soon repent and acknowledge the sanctity of all life. Amen.

END OF BOOK ONE

Have a blessed day!
John


73Reardon, Patrick. Christ in the Psalms. Ben Lomond, CA: Conciliar Press, 2000. 82. Print.
74Reardon 81.

Scripture quotations (Psalms 37-41) are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Copyright © 2010 by John P. Gross. All rights reserved. Reproduction of this material must be done in its entirety with the copyright notice intact. This book is not for sale, but is offered to the public free of charge in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary and for the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment