Friday, November 4, 2016


Come unto Me, His message repeating,
Words of the Master speaking today.


31st Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year C (30 October 2016)

3rd Reading


And having entered, he walked through Jericho.
And behold, there was a man named Zacchaeus. And he was the leader of the tax collectors, and he was wealthy.
And he sought to see Jesus, to see who he was. But he was unable to do so, because of the crowd, for he was small in stature.
And running ahead, he climbed up a sycamore tree, so that he might see him. For he was to pass near there.
And when he had arrived at the place, Jesus looked up and saw him, and he said to him: “Zacchaeus, hurry down. For today, I should lodge in your house.”
And hurrying, he came down, and he received him joyfully.
And when they all saw this, they murmured, saying that he had turned aside to a sinful man.
But Zacchaeus, standing still, said to the Lord: “Behold, Lord, one half of my goods I give to the poor. And if I have cheated anyone in any matter, I will repay him fourfold.”
Jesus said to him: “Today, salvation has come to this house; because of this, he too is a son of Abraham.
For the Son of man has come to seek and to save what had been lost.” Luke 19: 1-10


Lesson: Zacchaeus was a small man with a big heart. He was drawn to his Savior like a moth to a flame. He repented his sins and Jesus forgave him. The people condemned Jesus for entering a sinner's home, but Jesus came to save the sinner, not the righteous. And isn't that good news for you and me?

Meditation: Jesus, you came to heal the sick and the sinner. Heal me then in body and soul so that I may receive you in Holy Communion today with a pure heart. Help me to follow your precepts, for it is not I who lives, but you who lives in me.

Relationship of all three readings: (See 2 previous posts for Readings 1 and 2.)

Reading 1: The same God who created the immense universe loves us small weak creatures so much that he that he will not stop trying to convert us. WIS 11:22-12:2

Reading 2: God and Jesus give us the grace to accomplish his will. Although we long for Jesus' return, that will take place in the fullness of time. 2 THES 1:11-2:2

Reading 3: God decided to take a more active role in our redemption by sending his Son, Jesus, to convert sinners like Zacchaeus. LK 19: 1-10

The Alleluia Refrain sums up God's love for man: "For God so loved the world that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that all who believe in him may not perish, but may have eternal life." JN 3:16

Our Response to God's generosity is contained in Psalm 145: "I will extol you, O God, my king. And I will bless your name, in this time and forever and ever. Throughout every single day, I will bless you. And I will praise your name, in this time and forever and ever." PS 145: 1-2


Seeking the Lost

by William Augustine Ogden


Seeking the lost, yes, kindly entreating
Wanderers on the mountain astray;
Come unto Me, His message repeating,
Words of the Master speaking today.
Seeking the lost and pointing to Jesus
Souls that are weak and hearts that are sore,
Leading them forth in ways of salvation,
Showing the path to life evermore.
Thus would I go on missions of mercy,
Following Christ from day unto day,
Cheering the faint and raising the fallen,
Pointing the lost to Jesus, the Way.
Refrain

Going afar (going afar)
Upon the mountain (upon the mountain)
Bringing the wanderer back again, back again,
Into the fold (into the fold)
Of my Redeemer (of my Redeemer)
Jesus the Lamb for sinners slain, for sinners slain.
Scriptural texts: Ronald L. Conte Jr., translator and editor: The SacredBible, Catholic Public Domain Version, Original Edition.
Song retrieved from The Cyber Hymnal™ which lists over 11,000 Christian hymns with bios, midi files, and sheet music.
____________________

Books

Here is Psalm 23 from my book, "Praying the Psalms for the Unborn Child."


Psalm 23

The LORD, the Psalmist's Shepherd.
1The LORD is my shepherd,
I shall not want.
2He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.
3He restores my soul;
He guides me in the paths of righteousness
For His name's sake.4Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil, for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
5You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You have anointed my head with oil;
My cup overflows.
6Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
Jesus is our shepherd who provides for all our needs (green pastures). His Church baptizes (quiet waters) us, leads us to repentance and conversion40 (restores), and shows us how to live according to God's will (paths of righteousness) in order to glorify the Father (name's sake) (23:1-3). No evil, including death, can harm us under His powerful protection (rod and staff) (23:4). His Church provides the Eucharistic meal (prepare a table; cup overflows)41 and confirms us in the faith (anointed my head)42 (23:5). He will shower me with His grace (goodness)43 and mercy while I live on the earth and grant me eternal happiness in heaven when my physical life comes to an end (23:6).

Prayer for life: Dear Lord, You are my Shepherd who is constantly watching over me and showing me the way to heaven. Strengthen me with Your strength as I go against the tide of public opinion and have my baby. Give me the grace to do what is right and remember me, Lord, for having done the Father's will when I appear before Your awesome judgment seat at the end of my life. Amen.


Have a blessed day!
John



40The Orthodox Study Bible. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2008. 696. Print.
41The Orthodox Study Bible 696.
42 Reardon, Patrick. Christ in the Psalms. Ben Lomond, CA: Conciliar Press, 2000. 44. Print.
43Kleist, James, and Thomas Lynam. The Psalms in Rhythmic Prose. 1st ed. Milwaukee: The Bruce Publishing Company, 1954. 30. Print.

Scripture (Psalms 22-23) taken from the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE®, Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission.

Copyright © 2010 by John P. Gross. All rights reserved. Reproduction of this material must be done in its entirety with the copyright notice intact. This book is not for sale, but is offered to the public free of charge in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary and for the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment