Sunday, August 6, 2017

Psalms 120-124 from my new book:

A NEW LOOK AT THE OLD PSALMS
Praying the Psalms: a modern interpretation

A New Look at the Old Psalms

____________________

I present here a new perspective on the psalms. I have rewritten them from a New 
Testament Christ-centered point of view. I did not try to capture the poetry of the 
psalms – I leave that to more gifted writers – but I attempted to capture their message
with a more modern interpretation.
God bless,
John
____________________


Psalm 120

(If Psalm 119 described the roadmap to heaven, then Psalms 120-134 depict the obstacles along the road that threaten to detour us or even lead us to a dead end. But we do not walk alone. God is our travel companion and he is always ready to fix our flat tire, give us a lift, or defend us against evil highwaymen.)

T
he devil conceals many traps along the road to heaven. Evil is always waiting to tempt us to take a detour that leads away from God.
I cried out to the Lord when I found myself attacked by the wicked. Save me, Lord, from these unjust and deceitful people. As Jesus said, “The world would love you as one of its own if you belonged to it, but you are no longer part of the world. I chose you to come out of the world, so it hates you.” John 15:19 (NLT)

I felt like I was traveling through a barbarian land full of ungodly people. The Lord heard me. He knows how to deal with evil and then some. His arrows are sharp, as anyone knows who has been tried and tested by him. His coals are hot, like the ones that rained down on Sodom. I love peace, but all the enemy wants is war!


Psalm 121

S
o I lifted my eyes to God looking for his help. He created the universe. He certainly has the power to protect me. He will keep me from tripping on the stones in the road. He never sleeps, so he is always watching over me. He is my shelter and my strength. He will not let evil befall me. He will protect me from the heat of the sun and the evil that lurks in the shadows beneath the moon. He holds my soul in the palms of his hands. He observes everything I do and is ready to defend me now and until the end of time. “And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow — not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below — indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Rom 8:38-39 (NLT)


Psalm 122

T
hank God there were other travelers with me who encouraged me to seek sanctuary in Christ’s Church. It is there that all God’s children come together as one to thank the Lord for watching over them as they continue their journey to heaven. In his Church, those who love God will find justice, peace, and the spiritual wellbeing that God wishes for all his creatures. Let us all pray that God’s kingdom of heaven will soon be established on earth. As Jesus prayed, “May your Kingdom come soon. May your will be done on earth, as it is in heaven.” Matt 6:9-13 (NLT)


Psalm 123

L
ord, we look to you in heaven as a servant looks to his master, or a maid looks to her mistress for the slightest indication of a wish or command to be performed. And we will keep looking until you show us compassion. Have mercy on us, Lord, for the world hates us. The arrogant show us nothing but contempt. We are a disgrace to the rich. Yet if we must endure such suffering, let it be for my and the world’s salvation. Jesus said, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me.” Amen. Luke 9:23 (NLT)


Psalm 124

W
ithout the Lord, the wicked would have overwhelmed us. We would have drowned in the torrent of their anger. Let us praise God for protecting and delivering us from the trap the ungodly set for us. The Lord, who created the universe, saved his lowly creatures from destruction. 

____________________


Cover image: Christ the Saviour (Pantokrator)." Web. 25 Sept 2016.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Spas_vsederzhitel_sinay.jpg
"Creative Commons License." Web. 18 May 2016.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

This book and other books I have written are posted for your reading pleasure at Booksie.

Scriptural quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, 
copyright © 1996. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois
60189. All rights reserved.

Copyright © 2016 by John P. Gross. All rights reserved. Reproduction of this material must 
be done in its entirety with the copyright notice intact. This book is not for sale, but is 
offered to the public free of charge for the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment