Sunday, June 11, 2017

Psalms 85-88 from my new book:

A NEW LOOK AT THE OLD PSALMS
Praying the Psalms: a modern interpretation

A New Look at the Old Psalms

____________________

I present here a new perspective on the psalms. I have rewritten them from a New 
Testament Christ-centered point of view. I did not try to capture the poetry of the 
psalms – I leave that to more gifted writers – but I attempted to capture their message
with a more modern interpretation.
God bless,
John
____________________


Psalm 85

(A vision of the Incarnation.)

J
esus, you became man to set us free from the chains of sin. Your intercession ended God’s anger with us. You restored to us a life of grace, and we rejoice because of the mercy you have shown your people. The hearts of those who are open to your word, who follow your laws, will be filled with peace. Have mercy on us, Lord, and show us your salvation. Let your mercy temper your justice and give us peace. Reward those who seek the truth with abundance and lead them to glory. Amen.39 


Psalm 86

L
ord, hear my prayer. Watch over me, for I seek to do your will. Save your servant who places his hope in you. Have mercy on me, Lord, for you are always in my thoughts. My fervent prayer is for you to give me peace, for you are kind and compassionate. You take pity on those who seek your help. Answer me, Lord, as you did in the past when I was suffering. No power on earth is your equal; no one can work the miracles you perform. No wonder people from all over the world worship you and stand in awe of the amazing things you have done.

Guide my footsteps, Lord, for you alone are God; your way leads to holiness. Give me your joy so that I will always revere you. I thank you with all my heart for the great mercy you have shown me. You have saved me from eternal damnation by thwarting the plans of the ungodly who sought to ruin my soul.

Lord, you are kind, merciful, and patient. You bless those who value your truth. Therefore, strengthen me and save your servant. Show the wicked how much you favor me. Let my enemies be brought to shame because you answered my prayers. Amen.


Psalm 87

(A vision of the Church.)

T
he Lord built his Temple on Mount Zion in Jerusalem, the city he loved more than any other. Its reputation made it famous. People could not say enough great things about her.

What began on Mount Zion eventually became the Church of Jesus Christ which welcomes friend and foe under its protection. The Almighty established it and will note in his registry of nations that all peoples regarded his Church as Mother. Blessed are they who make her their spiritual home.40


 Psalm 88

(A vision of Christ among the dead waiting for his resurrection.)

" F
ather, hear my prayer. Before my death, I came before you in misery at dawn and dusk to beg for my salvation. As death overcame me, I entered the land of the dead. Man sees me as deceased and forgotten. But my soul still lives in this dark place. Atonement for man’s sins brought me to this prison for the departed where souls are waiting to be set free.

My friends abandoned and betrayed me. In such a weakened state, I begged for this cup of sorrow to be taken away from me. Yet I had to make the ultimate sacrifice. So here I am in this shadowy abyss waiting for you to rescue me. Only you can perform such a miracle.

Show me your mercy, Father. Let your truth shine even in this black and desolate place. Make your wonders known even here. Let my cry come before you. Do not leave me in this pit. I was no stranger to trouble when I was alive. I had good days and bad days. But now you have deserted me in this land of the forgotten where I have only the dead for companions.”41

____________________


Cover image: Christ the Saviour (Pantokrator)." Web. 25 Sept 2016.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Spas_vsederzhitel_sinay.jpg
"Creative Commons License." Web. 18 May 2016.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

39The Orthodox Study Bible. (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2008), 738.
40John Brook, The School of Prayer. (Collegeville: The Liturgical Press, 1992), 355-357.
41The Orthodox Study Bible. (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2008), 739.

This book and other books I have written are posted for your reading pleasure at Booksie.

Scriptural quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, 
copyright © 1996. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois
60189. All rights reserved.

Copyright © 2016 by John P. Gross. All rights reserved. Reproduction of this material must 
be done in its entirety with the copyright notice intact. This book is not for sale, but is 
offered to the public free of charge for the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment