Sunday, May 28, 2017

Psalms 75 and 76 from my new book:

A NEW LOOK AT THE OLD PSALMS
Praying the Psalms: a modern interpretation

A New Look at the Old Psalms

____________________

I present here a new perspective on the psalms. I have rewritten them from a New 
Testament Christ-centered point of view. I did not try to capture the poetry of the 
psalms – I leave that to more gifted writers – but I attempted to capture their message
with a more modern interpretation.
God bless,
John
____________________


Psalm 75

(A prophecy concerning Christ and the Last Judgment.)

W
e will praise you when we appear before your Judgment Seat, O Lord, and tell of all the wonders that you have worked. I remember your warning to the ungodly: “In the fullness of time, the earth, which I firmly established myself, and all its people will vanish, and I will deliver my judgment. I warned you not to break my commandments, to cease boasting of your evil acts, and stop accusing me of acting wrongfully. You look high and low for ways to justify your sins, but I alone am your judge. I decide who is condemned or rewarded, and sinners will drink deeply from the cup of my justice.”

As for me, I will rejoice forever in my Father’s house, for he will crush the sinner, but exalt the righteous. Amen.31

Psalm 76

(A prophecy concerning the battle between the kingdom of light and the kingdom of darkness.)

I
n the beginning, before the Lord incarnated on earth, the Almighty’s kingdom of heaven was a place of peace. But then Satan and his followers rose up in rebellion, and God and his angels defeated them and cast them out. What a wondrous city of light heaven must be! It casts its glow over all of creation, disturbing the sinner, sending the rich away empty-handed, and weakening those who wage war.

You are awe-inspiring, Lord. Who could challenge you? Satan tried to dethrone you in heaven, but that effort failed. Unfortunately, the devil was more successful on earth spreading his lies and leading your people to grievous sin. But then came the day of your great wrath. You rose up and sent your Son to defeat Satan and his minions once and for all and save the innocent. The earth held its breath in anticipation of the arrival of its savior. The rest is history.

We thank you, Father, from the bottom of our hearts for saving us. Let us all pray and follow the path of Christ. Let us bring gifts of praise and thanksgiving to the One who destroys the powerful and instills fear in kings. Amen.32
____________________


Cover image: Christ the Saviour (Pantokrator)." Web. 25 Sept 2016.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Spas_vsederzhitel_sinay.jpg
"Creative Commons License." Web. 18 May 2016.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

31The Orthodox Study Bible. (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2008), 731.
32Ibid.

This book and other books I have written are posted for your reading pleasure at Booksie.

Scriptural quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, 
copyright © 1996. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois
60189. All rights reserved.

Copyright © 2016 by John P. Gross. All rights reserved. Reproduction of this material must 
be done in its entirety with the copyright notice intact. This book is not for sale, but is 
offered to the public free of charge for the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment